'The Mexican", written by Alan Shacklock,
Originally Recorded by "Babe Ruth'", on their
'First Base' album for Harvest Records EMI, in Abbey
Rd Studios, 1972.
The Babe Ruth original of the song was first honoured
back in the day by
DJs Kool Herc and Grand Master Flash in
the Bronx street partys in NYC.
'The Mexican,' and it's rebirth from the old school
to the present day Hip-Hop culture has become 'the Anthem'
to DJ's. Remixers, B-Boys and breaking crews throughout
Imitated by such legends as Afrika Bambata
on the Platinum seller 'Planet Rock' , Todd Terry's
'Orange Lemon' entitled 'Dreams of Santa Anna'
a quote from 'The Mexican' .lyric, and numerous derivatives.
('The Mexican' lyrics - Click
On the eve of the bands 30 year Anniversary, the Babe
Ruth legend has been eternally sealed across the new
millennium with an enigmatic renaissance. resulting
in the honouring of their music by such global icons
- Sugar Ray on their world wide #1 platinum
- R.Kelly 'Dance with a Rich man'
- The Chemical Bros (Live
at the Social)
- Doug E Fresh 'Africa (Goin' Back Home)'
- Funky 4+1's 'Feel it (the Mexican)
- Jungle Brothers 'On the Run'
- Maestro Fresh Wes's ' 'The Mic's My
- The Prodigy (The dirt chamber sessions)
- DJ 'Jellybean Benitez' (featuring 'Janita
(Jenny) Haan' on vocals) on his 'Greatest Hits'
Album reached #1 in Billboard magazine.
'The Mexican' is featured on: Ultimate Breaks and Beats,
Hip-Hop Years, and My Coolest Years 'B-Boys and B-Girls'
Jermaine Dupri. 'DJ Pogo's' Block Party
Breaks, and 'The Mexican'has
become the quintessential DJ break.
In this new era 'the godfather of hip-hop,' "Grandmaster
Flash", features 'The Mexican' by 'Babe Ruth''
on his 'Official Adventures of GMF' album.
Thalia& Mark Anthony released 'Mexican 2000'
with two versions in Spanish and English, on her US
Platinum #1 album for the EMI Latin label.
'The Mexican'(Millennium) on Babe Ruths latest album - 'Que Pasa'.
'Babe Ruth' featured in 'Can't Stop Won't Stop, author
definitive Hip-Hop history out in paperback on Picador
Books in the US.
'The Mexican' lyrics - Click
- 2005 American Book Award
- San Francisco Chronicle Bestseller
- Blender Magazine Best Book of 2005
- New York Magazine Best Music Book of 2005
- Honolulu Star-Bulletin Best Music Book of 2005
- Boston Phoenix #2 Nonfiction Book of 2005
- New York Press 2005 Best New NYC Book
- Boom Magazine Favorite Books of 2005
- Boldtype Notable Book
- Flavorpill 2005 F-List
- The Progressive Favorite Books of 2005
- CBC Canada 2005 Arts Top 100